Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC-LCD programs developement compatibility
Hello, congratilations for the really professional work, lots of LCD and plugins, nice!

An year ago I wanted to test the parallel mode of FTDI - FT232BM chip, this is USB to RS232 converter, full duplex, all modem signals included. The chip has special mode, called Bit-Bang which could make its IO work in parallel mode. Just for the test I connected LPH7366 LCD (Nokia 3310 compatible) to it and writed a program that controls it. Next, just for fun I writed Winamp Plugin, connected some buttons, make LED backlight PWM controlled (lights up slowly biggrin.gif )...it happened to be a nice program...as soon as I met LCDHype biggrin.gif
I'm not making an AD, my question is the following:
Does the authors of LCDHype allow me to make my program compatible with the drivers included in LCDHype and backwards - my drivers LCDHype compatible?
i agree smile.gif

but! i think its better to develop a driver for lcdhype for your special lcd because i think lcdhype is developed much further (plugins, scripting language, community and so on). i dont want to badmouthing your tool, i dont know it but why to do the same work twice?

if you are a programmer you can develop plugins for lcdhype for example.

just a suggestion...
Current stable version of LCDHype: 0.7.6
New plugin: Notepad++ Bookmark Manager
New music: Nordwise - Empire transition
i dont want to badmouthing your tool, i dont know it but why to do the same work twice?

if you are a programmer you can develop plugins for lcdhype for example.

just a suggestion...

Nice, I agree with you too.
I found LCDHype lot after I started writing my LCD program (just a tool, nothing special). I really don't have the time to write my own program, I don't think it worths after I find LCDHype so good biggrin.gif I will look firther for writing my drivers as DLLs for LCDHype smile.gif
Nice, I just got my FT232 board connected to LCDHype by my driver....just a little more and I'll post it here....

I have some quiestions...
My driver requires external form for configuring FT232 baudrates etc....I got to create it in LCD_Init, the freeing of this form I do in LCD_CleanUp, but it seems like it frees up earlier than expected and tons of messages warn me about "access violation"?!?

Another one...
FT232's Send function is executed very slowly, at least 3-4ms, sending a single character to the LCD costs me like 10ms. It's so slow, because I have to send 5 bytes to LCD (8x5 font for example), but every single sending by FT232's Send_string function costs that time, 5 times 4ms makes 20ms for a single character. In my program, the tehnique I've used is to create a string that consists of the whole text that should be displayed, and then send it to the LCD as one. Now, sending of 128 characters takes me only 10-15ms.
The catch here is, drivers only support sending single character, when I send some text to LCD, for examples 40-50 characters, it takes seconds to display it. Is there any solution here?
And another question biggrin.gif
How is PixelData stored into the PIXELS (TArray), I mean, for example if graphic is 128x64, first 128 bytes are the first line of the graphic, nect 128 are second and so on till 64'th line?

Next question:
How are colors stored into each element of the PIXELS array?

Sorry for the much questions, gotta figure it out since I've decided not to continue working on my LCD program, but on LCDHype developing biggrin.gif

Another idea, since latest computers don't mostly don't have LPT or COM port, why not using FT232 to control LCDs (no need for microcontroller when you use it via Bit-Bang). It supports 3Mbps, enough for 50fps biggrin.gif

My driver requires external form for configuring FT232 baudrates etc....I got to create it in LCD_Init, the freeing of this form I do in LCD_CleanUp, but it seems like it frees up earlier than expected and tons of messages warn me about "access violation"?!?

hmmm...thats almost same way i created a config dialog for t6963c driver for example. i create the window in LCD_ConfigDialog and clean it up on LCD_CleanUp. Perhaps you coded something wrong? Attach your source so i can have a look at it.

The catch here is, drivers only support sending single character, when I send some text to LCD, for examples 40-50 characters, it takes seconds to display it. Is there any solution here?

its a thing that i explained several times. just use a array of characters. then declare a xpos and a ypos variable holding the "current" position on lcd. everytime the lcd_sendtomemory function is called the xpos is incremented and when the LCD_SetOutputAddress is called (function is called when a new line starts) you set the ypos variable. Now when xpos and ypos is greater the lcd dimension you can send the whole array to lcd.

You can also use this method when interfacing serial lcds for example.

How is PixelData stored into the PIXELS (TArray), I mean, for example if graphic is 128x64, first 128 bytes are the first line of the graphic, nect 128 are second and so on till 64'th line?

you are absolutely right smile.gif

How are colors stored into each element of the PIXELS array?

lcdhype was not created with the intension to handle "colors". by default the pixel array only contains the values 0 (pixel off) and 1 (pixel on).

a request for handling color in the loadbitmap was given a few months ago and implemented it and it seemed to work. but i only concerns the loadbitmap function.

i can extend the color idea but that will cost much time that i currently dont have.

Sorry for the much questions, gotta figure it out since I've decided not to continue working on my LCD program, but on LCDHype developing

you are welcome, thats why the forum was started.

Another idea, since latest computers don't mostly don't have LPT or COM port, why not using FT232 to control LCDs (no need for microcontroller when you use it via Bit-Bang). It supports 3Mbps, enough for 50fps 

feel free to do anything you want smile.gif

Thanks for the answers, now I have picture on my LCD, works really fine, except for the fps rate, but I'm sure I'll think of some way to make it faster (works 10-12fps now). It's kind of strange that my LCD_SendtoGfxMemory executes for about 30ms but fps is about 10?!

What is stored in SetIOProperties Exectime and ExectimeGfx?

How can I use LCDkeys from my driver (connected to my board, not to LPT port)?

Thanks for the answers, now I have picture on my LCD, works really fine, except for the fps rate, but I'm sure I'll think of some way to make it faster (works 10-12fps now). It's kind of strange that my LCD_SendtoGfxMemory executes for about 30ms but fps is about 10?!

What is stored in SetIOProperties Exectime and ExectimeGfx?

How can I use LCDkeys from my driver (connected to my board, not to LPT port)?

That was mine wink.gif I think I found my FPS problem, I'm thinking of a workaround now. I still wonder what are this ExecuteTimes about.
ViRuSTriNiTy, I saw some schematics for LCD keys at LPT port, I think they are pretty old-stilish, a PIC or Atmel microcontroller would be more efficient there biggrin.gif
Got it working, 30fps on my PC, driver supports software wiring, so no matter how you connect LCD to FT232 it can be configured to work. Still I wonder how to connect LCD keys via my driver?!?! huh.gif

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

lcd keys via your driver? hmmmm you need a circuit that is connected to your port and can be read out. when you receve a input signal you can send a window message to lcdhype to fill the control code queue (see window messages in the online help system)
Circuit is done, I see this in your app
"LCDHYPE.EXE\LCDHypeMessageHandler (TLCDHypeMessageHandler)", I know how to send (or post) messages to it, but as I see there should be special ones dedicated to sending LCD_Keys information (can't find what exactly are these in the online help huh.gif )... Could you help me out with this problem?

PS biggrin.gif boy am I a lazy person, gotta read more before asking these quiestions, I just found all the answers, thanx again for the patience, I must be very annoying writing my driver first and then asking stupid quiestions rolleyes.gif
welcome wink.gif
About that DeviceID, can I get one from you? Everything seems to work fine, a few hours and all will be finished and I will post my driver for free use biggrin.gif
five wink.gif

name or description?
Name: Predator_MFs FT232BM USB Display Driver v1.0 (Nokia PCD8544)
DLLName: USB_PCD8544.dll

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

nice one, deviceID will be mentioned in the next release.
Here it is biggrin.gif

Name: FT232BM USB Display Driver v1.0 (Nokia PCD8544)
DeviceID is now 5

Display: Nokia 3310 or PCD8544 compatible
Resolution: 102x72 (96x65 visible)
Colors: : 1-bit (B/W)

Driver Compatibilities:

Support Graphics: Yes
Support Text: Yes (Extra - Cyrillic Font)
Support CGRAM: Yes (32 characters)
Contrast slider: Yes
Support Light: Yes
Light Slider: No (coming soon)
Framerate: 35fps gfx/ 55 text

Extra Feautures:
Built-in Cyrillic Font text mode
3 keys connected directly to FT232BM's port
Reconfigurable LCD and Keys wiring

ViRuSTriNiTy, Thanks again for the support, LCDHype really worths it cool.gif

Attached Files
.rar   USB_PCD8544.rar (Size: 829,15 KB / Downloads: 2.091)
nice work, i included the package to my current version of lcdhype.
ViRuSTriNiTy, I think it's a good idea to add "PreviewWindowFullscreen" to message handling window, probably in the next releases biggrin.gif It would be alot easier to switch it with my remote control rolleyes.gif
Nice work Predator_MF!

Could You post the source code?